Re: Advertise?

"James B" <denco2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:2656f3f2-b5a4-4ed4-994d-ec0a3db2743c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Does anyone here advertise their services beyond word of mouth and
> referrals?  If so can you tell me what is working for you?

I have not advertised in years.  I only even have line listings in the phone
book now.  Word of mouth and referrals more than kept me busy until last
year.  Occasionally I used to just get in my truck or hop on my bike and
drive around visiting existing customers to say, "hi."  No selling just stop
by to visit and see how they are doing.  Particularly business customers.  A
day or two of that and I would be swamped with work.

Back when I did advertise probably the phone book had as good of results as
anything.  I did newspaper and radio with hardly any results.  Direct mail
which is supposed to get about 2% call backs statistically resulted in about
.05% for me.  Even carefully classified direct mail either in neighborhoods
with recent crime or to specific demographic segments wasn't much better.

My biggest additional sales was probably on, "oh by the way" stuff.  I was
already in the door quoting an alarm, and mention I can quote their video,
phone, and sound systems as well... And the other little add-on if I got
their phone system was to say, let me run all your network cable at the same
time to save you a couple dollars on labor.  Besides I am licensed and legal
to run your cable unlike that network guy who may be great at network setup,
but may not have the knowledge of building code and requirements I have
accumulated over the years.

I have had mixed results from paid referrals.  Guys expecting a kickback
directly to them for choosing you for their company are a problem with that.
You always get the smartass who wants to mail you the phone book and then
climbs up your ass when you don't call everybody in it cold and pay them.
And of course a person will be guaranteed to get all butt hurt when you
won't give them a $50 referral for a five minute job fixing their neighbors
doorbell for a whopping total of $60 or $80 including parts.  I also had a
few realtors and other business associates who sent me dozens of new clients
over the years.

There are two things I found.

Second:  People who picked my name out the phone book because they
recognized it from signs and decals on businesses.

First:  The number one thing I have found to generate new business right now
though is to visit your existing customers just to say hi.  Make it purely
social.  Ask how they are doing.  If they ask how you are doing say
something like, "A little more work wouldn't hurt, but we are surviving."
Don't try to sell them anything unless they bring it up.  Really.

... and don't let being a little tight cause you to take crappy questionable
jobs.  If you don't make money on a job (unless you are doing a favor for a
customer who does send you lots of profitable jobs) YOU DON'T WANT IT
ANYWAY.  I can't think of one customer ever I made money off of who I let
take advantage of me so I get in the door.  When I quit letting them screw
me they just went looking for the next sucker.  I did an alarm a couple
weeks ago for my very first ever alarm customer.  He never tried to beat me
down or anything, but when I was all down I gave him several hundred dollars
off the price I had quoted him and let him know I can't always do that, but
I really do appreciate my loyal long term customers.