Re: Automatic fire sprinklers

On Jan 11, 12:16=A0am, Evan <evan.news.re...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 10, 11:51=A0pm, mleuck <m.le...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > The issue to me isn't if they work well but that federal, state or
> > local governments shouldn't be mandating them. if the builder or
> > customer wants them that's another story
>
> LOL... =A0And why not ?
>
> If something can save lives why not require it... =A0Especially
> out there in the "heartland of America" where volunteer fire
> protection rules the day...
>
> Smoke detectors =3D required
> Carbon monoxide detectors =3D required
>
> automatic fire sprinklers =3D requirement coming soon
>
> Not just the public safety folks, but normal people are
> starting to see the pattern of people dying in small home
> fires as opposed to large multi-unit dwellings which have
> had the requirement to be sprinkler protected for a while
> now...
>
> How many people were electrocuted in the bathroom
> at home before GFCI's became a requirement ?
>
> ~~ Evan

How many fires do you hear about on the news where the FD reports that
there were no working smoke detectors? I'll tell you....a lot!

Smoke detectors are about $10. CO detectors a little more. Sprinkler
systems are a lot more.

Smoke detectors should be mandatory. They are proven to save life and
property at a very low cost. But, like anything else, they are only as
good as the people who maintain them. Now, think of how much damage
can be done with a sprinkler system that is not maintained properly.

I'm all for saving lives and property, but as hard as they try,
politicians can't legislate stupidity.

Hank