Re: I don't do installs for other contractors

On Jan 4, 9:37=A0pm, nick markowitz <nmarkow...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 4, 6:38=A0pm, "Bob La Londe" <nos...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > "nick markowitz" <nmarkow...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

.
> > On Jan 4, 2:39 pm, "Bob La Londe" <onebike...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Had one of those ADT types call me the other day. I was polite at fir=
st
> > > simply telling him, "I don't do installs for other contractors." He k=
ept
> > > pushing and acting insulting. I supposed I should have just hung up, =
but I
> > > cursed at him before I hung up. He called me back now trying to insul=
t me
> > > and my ability to run a business. I asked him what part of "no" didn'=
t he
> > > understand, told him there was no business here and he shouldn't wast=
e his
> > > time, told him to have a nice day and hung up. He called back again. =
> > > have no idea what he had to say as I informed him he was now committi=
ng a
> > > crime and harassing me and hung up.
>
> > > I was seriously tempted to post his phone number on Craigslist and
> > > Backpage
> > > in his home area.
>
> > > Free Cat Removal - May do other animals. Tell Me what you have.
>
> > > Call any time day or night. Collect ok. Will remove your unwanted fer=
al
> > > and domesticated cats. Never any charges. Always free.
> > > 623-555-1212. Anywhere in the county.
>
> > > May also consider removing other animals. Tell me what you have.
> > > Please also see my other ad for fresh low price home made sausage.
>
> > > I didn't but I was tempted. If he calls again I will. No, that is not=
 his
> > > phone number.
>
> > * What you should do is report him to ADT =A0I turn down work all
> > * the time I am very selective who I work for .
>
> > Me too. =A0My direct clients only.
>
> > I used to say I would help out another small dealer, but the only ones
> > whoever called me were mini mass marketers who sent me out on totally f=
'ed
> > up jobs expecting me to fix everything for nothing. =A0The last two or =
three I
> > looked at were pretty bad. =A0Panels installed inside return air ducts.=
 =A0Phone
> > wire cut into the nearest jack (On a trailer for goodness sake.) =A0The
> > infamous sticky tape. =A0Customer who had been seriously misinformed ab=
out
> > what they had... and no CS or system info or feedback to check anything=
.
> > Pretty sad. =A0I don't want my name associated with those jobs at all. =
=A0Not in
> > any way.
>
> > Now I just don't take work from other dealers. =A0If they want to refer=
 the
> [...]

RHC: Yeah, like every trade, there is a significant minority in it for
the money and screw the quality and ethics of it.  I work with a small
group of about 4 other alarm companies who are good. We know each
other, exchange contacts and will when necessary work for each other
to help out in an emergency. Other than that, I am suspect of all
other installations until I can inspect them first before a takeover.
Most I reject right away, but the few that I do take on usually end up
costing me in more service work.

Its not going to change, and it certainly isn't getting any better.
But look on the bright side. If you are even only reasonably good in
this industry, word gets around, and it puts you at the top of the
heap !!