Re: DC only alarm panel

On 08/02/2011 6:57 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
>>> Frank Kurzwww.firetechs.net
>>
>> The DC input to the panel is polarity sensitive.
>>
>> So .... if you apply the battery to the transformer terminals and the
>> panel doesn't power up. Reverse the polarity of the input.
>>
>> good to know,  thanks.
>

> You want to be careful here.  I did what you are attempting to do a number
> of years ago.  After research I used a Moose Z920 panel.  Was told by tech
> support to apply 12vdc to ONE of the AC terminals so that the panel would
> NOT go into AC Fail.  It worked great.
>
> However I was also told that for the product line it was the only panel that
> would allow this to happen because of I think a Zener Diode somewhere.
>
> I have discussed this with newer panel mfg's and get very little response or
> non at all because it is not policy to think outside the box therefore they
> can sanction the modification.  "Liability".   If you are going to try it I
> would suggest you do it on a non-important panel.  I doubt it will damage
> anything on the board, it will either work or it will not.  If not try
> another model or mfg..  Or if you can find a Z920 it will work.

> "I can power most any panel by putting 12vdc to the ac inputs?  didn't know
> that!"
> And you still don't!!!
>
> Good Luck
>
> Les

The rectifier bridge will ensure the proper voltage to the panel is
supplied.  If it doesn't work one way, it will the other.  Any panel
with a bridge rectifier will power up and function with a DC source to
some degree.  I think the FBI products employing the 12VAC transformer
will perform better.  I had a situation many years ago where I needed a
well filtered DC source for a camera system.  I used two 12 volt
Alltronix power supplies.  The first was connected to a standard 16VAC
transformer (the battery was also connected to this one).  The second
was powered off of the DC output from the first one.  That installation
is still going strong after ten years.