Sole Path ???

I received a phone call and an e-mail the other day from one of the reps for
Telular.  He was all excited that they have a communicator suitable for sole
communication for commercial fire.  I listened to him and read some of the
info he e-mailed to me and it just doesn't add up.

It looks like a GSM communicator sending two signals instead of one.  Big
whoop.  Its still a single communication path.  Now if it incorporated a GSM
and a CDMA communicator with a trouble output if either fails to test I
might buy into it, but it sure doesn't look that way when giving it the
quick once over.  Instead they seem to indicate the the NFPA standard was
changed???

Really?  All these years that we have been required to provide two
communication paths, and now NFPA says we only need one?  Is this true?
What am I missing?

Esplain it to me Rucy.