Re: Hayes 1200 external

tourman <robercampbell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I have couple customers with the automated key card gas pumps   and
>> for the pumps to authorize transactions etc.
>> they must use a 1200 baud modem  so all those old modems I have
>> collected over the years have come in handy.
>> as this is only way pump systems work.  crazy they have not upgraded
>> this technology.
>
>RHC: From there perspective, it likely only needs a low speed modem to
>send the limited information required. Why upgrade when the cost of
>doing so has no immediate benefit....

It might be a requirement, since the POTS lines are only
guaranteed to go as high as 2400 baud.

I worked for an ISP in the mid 90's and I had many an argument
with "Ma-Bell" over the quality of some of our client's lines. The
above response was what was "on script".

So my next move was to have the customer call and say the "voice"
quality is bad.  Then they roll a truck, check the grounding and
outside wiring, and install a new NID or service drop if needed.