Re: Wireless Alarm System

On Apr 4, 11:35=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Apr 4, 11:38=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 4, 9:45=A0pm, Ryan Mercer <discreetecity...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Yeah, the DSC alexor seems like a nice system - the wireless keypads
> > > are a great option.
>
> > RHC; It retains the design of a normal alarm( ie: main control panel
> > away from the keypad and not IN the keypad) yet allows total
> > flexibility in where you can place it, as well as all other wireless
> > components.
>
> > I've never been a big fan of these totally wireless systems because
> > they have been overutilized in the past by the "quick buck artists"
> > and "money machine" companies more interested in the customers bank
> > account than in their security. =A0However, these later breed of panels
> > actually seem to work pretty well and have their place in some homes
> > and businesses where running wires conventionally is just not an
> > option.
>
> As you may remember in past threads, one of the reasons I don't use
> DSC has been what I consider "an apparent cheap feel " about their
> hardware. Thin, soft, plastic. Thin metal and PCBs. Just the looks of
> the "innards" look like it was made in the furthest reaches of China.
> I know DSC is used by a lot of people but I assume that it's due to
> low cost. Or ..... maybe the cost is about par but the "look" quality
> is substantially less than most other mfg's. I don't deny that
> they're =A0pretty much equal in features but, in my opinion, it just
> doesn't look quality. And ..... I don't mean to say that the equipment
> looks "bad" ..... just chinzsy ..... flimsy.

The current most common DSC panels (PC1616, 1832 and 1864) are low
cost systems however I disagree about being flimsy especially the
keypads, the PK keypad construction is in my opinion the best out
there as far as look and feel.

I came from the circuit board industry and the minimal design of DSC,
Honeywell etc is the result of massive circuit integration and custom
chips which not only are cheaper to produce but also are less likely
to fail because of fewer components.

Knowing you like Napco I've always felt they overbuilt their circuit
boards for no reason, ask any circuit board designer/manufacturer and
you'll find that when you have a board filled with tons of surface
circuitry like resistors, caps, diodes etc you have something that is
very labor intensive to produce which is likely why Napco panels are
in general more expensive with little if any additional features over
the competition. Same with their keypads (although keypads do have a
quality feel)

When you have installation companies not looking to outlay a lot of
money for equipment it's not hard to see why most pick Honeywell or
DSC over Napco, again my opinion.

> =A0About 2 years ago, I had occasion to take over a wireless DSC
> installation and the little flat transmitters "look" really neat. But
> you try to open them up and the plastic gives out before you can get
> the cover off. When I finally got a few of them open, the boards fell
> out because the plastic was so soft the little tabs had "ooozed" off
> from flexing while trying to open the case. The door on the cabinet
> was as flexable as a piece of cardboard.

Sounds like you had an older series wireless sensor and I agree a lot
of DSC's older stuff was like that, GE and Honeywell sensors are still
better as far as construction but the current DSC wireless is close.

> The programing was pretty simple. The keypad looked alright .... but it j=
ust couldn't offset the
> low quality "feel" of the hardware make ..... to me .... anyway.

The older Power Series keypads were like that, the front cover never
felt secure on the base plate especially on an uneven wall surface,
the current keypads are by far better, they now have the faceplate and
circuit board in a thicker plastic "tub". My only complaint is DSC has
gone to using international symbols for LED's and icons instead of
text which can be very confusing to customers.