Re: Need to Make A Vise

On Sep 5, 2:10=A0pm, "Bob La Londe" <nos...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have been bouncing around an idea for a specialty screwless vise. =A0I'=
ve
> got the shape and design figured out, and I think I have the machine
> processes to make it figured out. =A0I'm still struggling with the exact =
best
> way to drill the pin holes, but that's not my hold up. =A0I'm trying to
> decided what material to make it out of. =A0The cheap steel that the Harb=
or
> freight vises are cast from machines nicely, but I don't know what it is,
> and I'm not sure it would be rigid enough. =A0I could do it with aluminum
> easily enough, but I really don't think that would work very well. =A0If =
the
> design works I can see myself using this vise for many many years, and ev=
en
> custom designing it for other machines. =A0It doesn't have to withstand t=
ons
> of holding force, but it should be able to handle upto 100 lbs of holding
> force with minimal distortion. =A0I know, make it heavy, but the idea is
> really geared towards mini machines, so heavy really is not an option. =
=A0I
> suspect a 75 lb vise would cause or contribute to motor stalling on some =
of
> these machines.

You didn't give great detail but could you use a construction similar
to a pair of Vicegrips ? Much of the strength of Vicegrips is derived
from the "channel" shape of the handles and 100 pounds is not that
much of a force requirement. Only the teeth of the Vice grip pliers
are really hard metal and if you are only looking for a flat face and
not a rippled grip, that part could be a seperate part of harder metal
and just ground flat. And again, 100 pounds of pressure is not that
much so it wouldn't have to be that hard to begin with.