Re: Addressable Fire Panel Search

On 28/10/2010 10:11 AM, JoeRaisin wrote:
> On 10/27/2010 2:26 AM, Frank Kurz wrote:
>> On 26/10/2010 7:49 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> Looking for a reliable Commercial Addressable Fire Panel.
>>>
>>> Needs to have more than 150 zones.
>>>
>>> Easy to program with on board keys, etc.
>>>
>>> Downloadable with included software.
>>>
>>> Reasonably priced.
>>>
>>> At least 2 NAC's
>>>
>>> Any other features would be standard on most any Commercial Fire Panel.
>>> I can name a number of panels Silent Knight, FireLite, Ademco, and
>>> others.
>>>
>>> Actually looking for pros and cons that you are using. Any tidbit
>>> will be
>>> helpful.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Les
>>>

>> With 150 ZONES you've pretty well limited yourself to "the big guys". If
>> EVAC and fire phones are involved, you won't have a whole lot of
>> options. Notifier, Chubb Edwards, Simplex, Siemens, Gamewell. Mircom may
>> figure in there as well. Their FX-2000 is also priced well, but I
>> understand that they've had some problems in the US market. Why so many
>> zones, mind my asking?
>>

> Could we have a discussion on the Edwards line?
>
> The Direct TV job is dismal - large portions of many days are spent
> trying to connect with other techs who either have equipment you need,
> or need equipment you have. Once a week (and again on the first of every
> month) we have to drive two hours (one way) to submit paperwork, get
> inventoried and get what equipment they will issue (never enough for the
> whole week). We also engage in a "tech meeting" where, among other
> things, they complain about gas usage. This being a piece-work job I see
> why they have such high turnover - in the 6-7 weeks I've been there I've
> seen three guys walk out the door. Two of them had been there several
> years (five years is considered an "old timer"). Perhaps if I worked
> directly for Direct TV it would be different, but being a
> "Semi-independent" for a sub-contractor...
>
> ANYWAY - I've just accepted a job offer from a fire and safety company
> as a service tech. They use, almost exclusively, Edwards products. I
> will be doing service work and head end programming.
>
> Having only had contact with Edwards gear as a user doing fire
> inspections I am curious. It looks like fairly solid equipment and I'm
> told that programming is straight forward without too many twists.
>
> The company has been around for many years and they are picking up the
> tab for my code update to renew my fire alarm license - plus I'm
> starting at just a buck an hour less than I was making when I left the
> other place (frankly, more than I expected).
>
> I would like to hear opinions/experiences with the Edwards line.
>
> Thanks

Quickstart, EST-2, EST-3 are all pretty rock solid product.  Easy to
program.  Problem in Canada is that you HAVE to be employed by
Chubb-Edwards to program the product.  Their present charge out rate in
Vancouver is $130.00 an hour.  The recent take-over by UTC has created a
couple of problems for the local office as everyone adapts to the new
employer's way of doing business.  Chubb/UTC/Edwards will probably
become the top player in the Canadian fire alarm industry.  Their local
management team is pretty well top-notch and nationally they're well
positioned.

There have been some minor hiccups with equipment reported.  You can't
get closer than about three feet from an EST-3 with a firefighter's
radio or the sucker goes into "rail fault" and resets.  Appropriate
notices have to be posted on all the head end panels and annunciators.

Best of luck embarking on your new career there, Joe.  Give me a call
anytime!

--
Frank Kurz
www.firetechs.net