Re: New alarm licensing for Province of Quebec

On Oct 20, 11:55=A0pm, "Petem" <petem...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "tourman" <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> a =E9crit dans le message de groupe d=
> discussion :
> 70bbd5eb-d9c0-49b8-b431-eaded7dfe...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> > Well, it seems the restrictive Quebec unions are finally getting their
> > way. Effective next year, any company installing alarms in Quebec will
> > need a provincial license, which costs $1400 annually for the company,
> > plus $102 for each installer working to install. It will also involve
> > a criminal background for all employees of the company. Fines for
> > companies caught operating without a license will be in the region of
> > $5000 an offence !!
>
> > A recent publication distributed to all wholesalers describes it as a
> > government attempt to move alarm installation from the domain of a
> > trade to that of a more professional level of activity. The real truth
> > is it's an attempt to cozy up to Quebec unions who are notorious for
> > their wish to keep Ontario companies out of fair competition in
> > Quebec, and of course, it's another tax on on the small and big
> > businesses working there (and which will work it's way down to the end
> > price paid by the consumer). It also reflects the fact that there are
> > a lot of scumbags in the business there (as well as in the
> > locksmithing trade). But regardless of the worth of background checks,
> > this is a clear case of killing a fly with a shotgun !!!
>
> > Frankly, I'm so damn tired of Quebec and all their special privileges
> > within Canada, along with their rightly earned place of being the most
> > corrupt province in Canada !! I have dozens of customers across the
> > river from Ottawa in Quebec, and I can tell you I won't stop servicing
> > these accounts because of this bullshit !!
>
> Fine with me.. ;-) I am not really happy with that legislation also, and =
by
> the way it was pass on 2006 and it took effect last summer..
>
> It was pass cause some american government asked that there would be more
> security in Canada.. dont worry it will come to Ontario soon..

RHC: No it was passed because of pressure from trade unions. If the
American government wanted more security in Canada, anything that
happened would happen at the border crossings, not just within the
Province of Quebec.

And no, I doubt such an expensive licensing scheme would every fly in
Ontario ! You work for a big company, so this affects you not in the
least. However, smaller companies would be hit hard by such excessive
charges (although some form of basic licensing probably wouldn't be a
bad idea). But you don't kill a fly with a hammer !!