Re: Best 9V for Smokes

On Oct 10, 2:18=A0pm, "Bob La Londe" <onebike...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A long time ago upon the advise of a couple ASA regulars I started using
> nothing but Coppertops for smoke detectors that use 9V batteries. =A0Befo=
re
> that I tried cheap batteries, other brands, and even expensive lithiums.
> The Coppertops seem to have given me the least trouble over the years. =
=A0The
> other day I was making my routine recommendation to a non-client and he
> jumped all over me that Consumer Reports says except for generic no-names
> they are all the same.
>
> It wasn't the first thing he jumped on me about of course. =A0As snowbird=
 he
> had already pointed out to me how so many things were superior where he c=
ame
> from over Arizona. =A0(I had to bite my tongue to keep from telling him t=
o go
> back there then. =A0I really hope he doesn't call me back to install his
> system.)
>
> Anyway, its been a long time since I did a timed load test, but back then
> there was a definite difference in discharge curve between Energizers and
> Coppertops. =A0The Energizers would maintain a higher voltage and then dr=
op
> off suddenly. =A0The Coppertops would maintain useable voltage levels for
> longer but more steadily decrease.
>
> The summary I came to was that devices that can operate effectively on lo=
wer
> voltage levels would benefit from Coppertops (like incandescent bulb
> flashlights) where as devices that needed a more constant power supply (l=
ike
> charging the discharge caps on a photo flash quickly) would benefit from =
the
> use of Energizers.
>
> All that being said, what do you guys use for 9V batteries in smokes? =A0=
Why?

> I don't actually run into it often except in a few wireless systems I hav=
> installed, but it does come up when I get the classic, "Your smoke detect=
or
> is beeping," call from a client who doesn't understand that if there was =
> problem with an alarm smoke it would show up on the keypad too.

I use the Duracell copper tops and lately I've been using the "Ultra
Advanced". I've not done any testing on them to see if the additional
cost is worth it, but generally speaking, they "seem" to last longer.
I get them at Costco. And I'm not too concerned about what I pay for
them as I don't use that many of them anymore. I use the AA and AAA in
remotes for Home Theater installs and in my own. They last for years.
I also use the Duracell Copper top 123    3Volt lithium for my
wireless transmitters which I get at distributors.

I don't know if you picked it up in an earlier post of mine but Yuasa
is back in business and I've been using them again. For awhile I was
using the Genisis version, the ADI (so called) equivalent to the Yuasa
but which did not last as long as the original Yuasa's. ADI is now
carrying both brands. We'll have to wait and see if the "new" Yuasa
has the same quality and longevity as it used to.