Re: OT: German kids have a "leg up"... :-)

On Oct 4, 11:25=A0am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 9:36=A0am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Both names are "real". =A0One I was born with. =A0The other people ac=
tually
> > > know me by. =A0From everything I'd read about participating in public
> > > newsgroups it was suggested that you adopt a screen name. =A0If you
> > > recall, when I first started posting into the group, I was going unde=
> > > the name "Horus". =A0Actually, come to think of it, you probably were=
n't
> > > here back then.
>
> > > Anyone that wants to go "RL" (in a negative way) with me is probably
> > > someone I wouldn't be responding to anyway. =A0I've learned a lot in =
this
> > > group and I have a great deal of respect for the participants I've
> > > communicated with (both on and off the group).
>
> > > I guess it all boils down to "youze takes your chances".
>
> > > --
> > > Frank Kurz
> > > The Fire Protection Technicians Networkhttp://www.firetechs.net
>
> > RHC: I've been on this newsgroup for 15 years, always using my real
> > name; my website has all my contact information as well, and I've
> > never had any sort of a problem. Unless you invite trouble through
> > undue controversy, I don't think others would do such a thing out of
> > spite.
>
> > I've definately been called naive before; however, what can anyone
> > really do unless you are prone to receiving bad things and taking them
> > for more than they actually are.-
>
> Then I guess I'll have to join those who've called you naive.
>
> Almost from the very beginning I've not used nor given any personal
> information about myself in any forum. The worst that's ever happened
> is "someone" submitting my E-mail address to websites that send
> endless spam with no means to unsubscribe. Ultimately easy to take
> care of .... but nevertheless an annoyance. It seems to me that the
> possibility exists that you would provide =A0personal information and be
> quite safe from any problem. That is, until you come across that one
> vindictive person who, with personal information could simply inundate
> you with all kinds of spam crap and possibly send you viruses, and
> whatever. Also, another tactic is contacting people you know as well
> as employers and providing them with whatever information they think
> will annoy you =A0 ...... be it true or not. Additionally, signing you
> up for receiving mounds of mail at your home or business, from all
> sorts of sources can be accomplished very easily.
>
> Being docile will, of course, reduce the possibility of you being
> subjected to any of this, however, even dicility has it's detractors,
> and there are very few who can remain docile on every subject.
>
> I was thinking that now that Frank has "come out" I would inundate him
> with porn subscriptions but then I realized who I was talking about.
> I'm sure that he already has those subscriptions so I decided it would
> [...]

RHC: So be it ! Other than spam which I get because I simply exist on
the internet, I've received nothing in the way of hate mail as you
describe. Just like I don't run around worrying about every last thing
that could befall me, I don't unduly worry about the internet
(passwords, banking information excepted). But if they can crack
Paypal, then they could probably do most anyone some harm if they so
wished. Such is life !!!