Re: Joe...

On 11/25/2010 12:08 AM, G. Morgan wrote:
> First, Happy Thanksgiving!
>
> Second:
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40362816/ns/politics-more_politics/
>
> "Jury convicts DeLay in money laundering trial. Former U.S. House majority
> leader faces up to life in prison"
>
> Ouch!!!
>
> :-))

Saw that in yesterdays paper.  How much you wanna bet the rat bastard
doesn't do a day in jail?  The headline touted that he could do "life"
between the five and twenty year possible sentences for the various
charges but then sort of mentioned in an off hand way that probation was
also a possibility.

Since elections supposed to be a non-violent way of changing government,
thus a means of avoiding bloody revolution, anyone convicted of
tampering with the electoral process should not only do jail time, but
be fined up to 80% of their net worth (Including any assets transferred
to relatives in the past two years).  To paraphrase from "Trading
Places", "...it occurs to me that the best way you hurt rich people is
by turning them into poor people."

Since rich folks like Delay don't fear the Justice System, things need
to change so they do.

But it won't happen, like I've said many times, laws are written by rich
people for rich people.  Just look at how the percentage of rich folks
in government has risen while the median income for the upper class has
gone up at the same time the median income for the middle and lower
classes has gone down.

Same theory behind what I think would be the answer to illegal
immigration, financially destroy the folks owning/running those
companies caught using the illegal labor while keeping the companies
operating (in Government receivership).  The illegal labor market will
soon dry up.  IMHO that's the main reason nothing gets done about it -
those profiting face almost zero penalties.  It's like if the laws
against bank robbery said that if you get caught you have to give back
the money and tell Mr. Banker you're sorry - now go home and tell your
father what you've done.  If there is no real penalty for breaking a
law, but there is money to made by doing so - folks are going to break it.

But I digress - Delay needs to do jail time.  Similar thing happened
here in Michigan with a major family owned grocery chain secretly and
illegally funding a "grass roots" effort to recall a township council
that, just by coincidence, was making the building of a store
inconveniently expensive.  The governor wouldn't let the AG (who wanted
to hammer them) and had the Secretary of State handle it since that
office controls elections.  They got a slap on the wrist - guess whose
campaigns they donated generously to?

Politicians like Delay and Rangel shouldn't be above the law but
unfortunately, even when they are held accountable - they aren't really.