Re: DSL question

Crash <robosama@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Here's the deal, Vista 10SE communicating fine until Qwest installed
>AND MESSED with inside wiring. We were tapped into the nearest telco
>outlet in an office (don't ask it was an ADT that we took over)
>anyway...it was working fine and had line siezure until they (Qwest)
>screwed with it. That outlet has DSL filter hanging out of it but we
>are tapped in ahead of it...but we have dial tone and we can break
>dialtone with a but set at our wires there. TWENTY feet away at the
>other end of our wire we have only faint static ? Thats it.  I didnt
>have a DSL filter with me so I couldnt try it.

Sounds like a great opportunity to wire the dialer cable correctly, to the
demark.  Probably should have been done while you were there, eh? (either on the
takeover itself, or the service call).

I find it hard to believe you've never had to use a DSL filter.  When I was
doing 2-3 takeovers/re-activations a day I went through 4 or 5 filters weekly.

It is possible for an alarm signal to transmit successfully on an unfiltered DSL
line, BUT... just because one round goes through does not mean the next round
will.  I always install a filter for customers with DSL.  In fact, many
contracts will have that provision.. and the filter is to be paid for by the
customer.

I would use this one, that is meant for alarms and line-seizure.
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/product_8797_detailed.htm

Some other respondent said something about bandwidth and compared Quest's
service to "Vonage".  I don't know what the hell brought that up, but ignore
that advice unless the customer actually has a VOIP service (which was not
mentioned).