The ICC ? Who????

Hey!  Is there anybody in here?

Anyway, I just read an article about CO detectors and I really don't
understand the significance of it.

The article starts off by saying that the International Code Council
( ICC) has published new requirements for carbon monoxide detection
and revised requirements for smoke detectors. They are covered in the
International Residential Code for one and two family dwellings and
town houses.  Who the hell is the International Code Council? The
article says that the ICC codes are rapidly becoming the "code of
choice" for state and local governments that adopt and enforce
building code standards. What ever happened to NEC and  NFPA?

Here's the link. Take a look at the section towards the end of the
article "Fire Alarm Systems Changing Course"

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/root+level/fire-and-intrusion-icc-strengthens-co-smoke-detector-codes

What say?