Re: Paypal has been hacked

On Mar 13, 8:31=A0pm, "Doug" <n...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Matt Ion" <soundy...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > On 11/03/2010 8:52 AM, tourman wrote:
>
> >> I sent a report to the FBI site for reporting this kind of
> >> thing; however, since no money was actually lost (by me anyway), no
> >> action will likely ever be taken.
>
> > Of course money is lost... either by Paypal, who has to cover to paymen=
> > to the vendor(s), or by the vendor(s) themselves. =A0Either way, a
> > significant amount is probably involved.
>
> There could be a number of reasons on how this happened, including RHC's
> assertion that paypal has been hacked, but it doesn't necessarily follow
> that because RHC's paypal account was apparently compromised that paypal
> itself was hacked. It could be that someone got hold of RHC's password or
> his computer may have been the one that was hacked.
>
> Doug

RHC: No I don't think it had anything to do with me. If they had
hacked my computer, I likely would have lost a lot more before I
spotted it. Also, I have just about everything made in the way of
security on all my computers, so that I believe is a long shot. The
CIBC bank gives free software for your computer that further encrypts
all pages where passwords are typed in (on top of a myriad of other
security precautions)

The way that Paypal immediately refunded the money, with no
investigation whatsoever, tells me they quickly looked at the
transaction and saw it was bogus.I was on top of it within an hour of
it happening, and the purchased laptop was to be sent by overnight
express.  I contacted the seller right away, so hopefully he was able
to stop shipment before any more harm was done.

I believe there is something going on here beyond the obvious and
Paypal were probably aware of this method of hacking into their
system. For the record, the party who this was to be shipped to, and
as far as I am aware the one who did this, is Pham Xuan, 1207 Columbia
Drive,  Decatur, Georgia, 30032. I looked him up and could only find a
website with a bad rating so went no further......

If he's been doing this for awhile, you have to wonder how he's
continuing to pursue his criminal career. Who the hell is "minding the
shop" anyway.....