Re: Tech Help!

On Mar 6, 11:43=EF=BF=BDpm, "Rockytsquirrel" <g...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> if you consider =EF=BF=BDthe voltage drop and loss of current over distan=
ce, you
> will see that conductor size will have an effect on the ability of your
> sensor/device to function properly.
> DC =EF=BF=BDdoes not like to travel very far =EF=BF=BDbefore it gets tire=
d and slows down..
> ;-)
> AC =EF=BF=BDdoes not suffer the same failings..

Thank you Nicoli Tesla  :-)  ( Just Kidding)

Regardless of the shortness of the run I always use 24VAC and if
necessary, 12VDC rectifiers at the camera. But even under those
conditions, a 500 foot run to a camera requiring 500 to 750 Ma, I
would use a local power source.   But it is true that there are lots
of people who just don't look at the camera current requirements
versus distance, with the IR illuminators on.

A couple of years ago, I came across someone elses job that was having
a problem. They had 12VDC/24VAC cameras, 12VDC/24VAC power pack but
they were powering the cameras with 12VDC. At night after a certain
time, some of the cameras would stop working intermittantly. What was
happening is that as the cameras shifted over to night mode, one by
one, there was less and less current available. No one ever thought to
cover the day/night sensor to see what the cameras would really draw.
They were rated at 500 MA but actually were drawing more like 600MA. A
couple of cameras were only getting about 9 or 10 volts.  I just moved
the leads in the power pack over to 24VAC and the problem went away.
Just like magic. Amazing!!!!