Re: OT: Interesting article on the healthcare bill

"JoeRaisin" wrote:

> Except the CBO even said (in their cover letter) their numbers are not
> accurate because they haven't seen the reconciliation...

The CBO figures are, as they always are, based on the bill as currently written.
There will be changes and those will make a difference but the differences will
be fractional -- never enough to turn what is a windfall gain for the econmy
into anything like a loss.

> Could be a moot point anyway since the Senate parliamentarian
> is now saying that President Obama would have to sign a health
> care bill into law before Congress can amend it with a
> reconciliation measure.

That's just procedure. It doesn't change the nature of the bill nor it's
benefits.

> I'm just having trouble figuring out why there is such a rush to pass
> something that won't take effect for four (or more) years.

That's easy. The Republicans, along with a few dishonest Democrats (yes, we have
them, too) have been very successful in their campaign of lies and are almost
certain to take back the majority in the House. This is the only time we are
likely to be able to get it done.

> It's also a little troublesome that the mandate to get insurance
> (which is troublesome in itself) is permanent but the tax credits
> to help poor folks afford it are only temporary. Even most
> democrats are now saying that premiums won't go down.

I'm pretty sure that was done to appease Republicans during the endless
committee meetings. Democrats made the stupid mistake of trying to negotiate
with the Republicans. The Republicans never for a moment intended to vote yes,
no matter if we gave them every thing they demanded. The whole point was to
"stio Obama." You can't negotiate with people like that. We should have simply
voted on each measure we wanted and completely ignored Republican input, then
passed the bill with a public option. That's the problem with our Democratic
leaders. They're too nice.  :^)

> The fines for not offering insurance to employees is STILL
> less than the cost of providing it. Incentive for business to
> let their employees fend for themselves - employees who,
> at the lower levels, will only get help paying for that insurance
> for a few years.

We'll have to deal with this again and again, all because we tried to negotiate
fairly with the GOP. Had we done it the way Republicans do things (ram it down
their thoats), this would not have to be done. We'd give poor people a permanent
break.. you know, what the Republicans wanted to do for the rich.

> It doesn't provide people with the ability to select varying
> levels of coverage like you can with most other insurances...

That's not entirely correct. Most people will continue with the same insurance
carriers they have. They will have whatever coverage choices they had before the
bill. Their primary immediate benefite are no lifetime cap (essential for people
like me), no pre-existing coverage rules, no getting dropped if you get sick and
a few other really important protections. Those who buy through the exchange may
have fewer options than those who already had insurance but without the bill
they have no coverage at all.

> I would still like to see HSA's with catastrophic coverage - I see
> what you said about the HSA's not being interest bearing, but
> neither were checking accounts way back in the day.  Sooner
> or later, if the market is allowed to work, some HSA managers
> would start offering interest as a way to pull in customers.

Perhaps, but if they work for the insurance industry I can't imagine
a time when this will acrrue to the benefit of consumers.

> Right now, almost no aspect of our health care (or coverage) deals directly
> with the consumers. Employers make deals with the various insurance providers,
> the insurance providers make deals with the various care providers and
> everything gets rammed down the consumer's throat.

Yep.

> [snip a bunch of stuff we agree about]

> Our medical care system is not the horror show some make it out to be.

It's not really the medical care system that's at fault, though it certainly
has areas that could improve. It's the isurance industry that rakes 20-30%
off the top while providing nothing useful to anyone.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics