Re: Tech Help!

On Mar 6, 3:30=A0pm, "Doug" <n...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Jim" <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote in message

> On Mar 6, 2:35?pm, "Doug" <n...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > "Spellcheck Patrol" <alarminst...@xxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > On Mar 4, 11:27 pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > >That's where those 72 beautiful LEDs come into play. Works in 0 lux
> > >with an IR distance of 150 feet
>
> > I've yet to see a low cost IR camera that in the real world performs
> > anywhere close to what the manufacturers specifications claim. It seems
> > common for the manufactures to grossly exagerate the performance of the=
ir
> > LED equipped cameras.
>
> > Doug
> >I always quote half the distance claimed by the manufacturer.
>
> The usable image may even be less than that, and to make it worse I'm not
> sure that many people read the power requirements which may be 100-200mA
> range in the daytime but could easily be in the 1.5 to 2.5 amp range at a=
> night when the LEDs come on, they then hang these things on the end of
> several hundred feet of 22 gauge wire or cat5 with two pairs used for pow=
er
> and wonder why they don't work properly.
>
> Doug <

I doubt many read the requirements, Doug.
cat5 is popular around here but I'd never use it. Guys use it because
they're too lazy, cheap, or unskilled, to run and pull multiple
cables.
I use siamese on every job. Always have. Always will. I did a 25
camera job on a 5 level completely finished brownstone  ( 5 per
level), and while cat5 would have had me out of there within 3 days I
stayed the course and used siamese. It was a bitch, but there's no way
in hell I am using 24 gauge cable for power. It might work but it's
stupid, irresponsible, and selfish to even make the attempt.
Imagine running 5 siamese cables alongside a concealed water pipe.
Tight fit. That was the basement. The 3rd floor was 20 cables. 2nd was
15. 1st was 10. 4th floor was easy running 25 from the office, through
the ceiling, to the water pipe.
cat5 would have been a breeze, but it's just not right.

As for your concerns over the integrity of the camera I mentioned,
they may be valid, but my point is on an apples to apples comparison
my price cannot be touched.