Re: for Norm Mugford

"Robert L Bass" <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:7uydndJUkPjb1zHWnZ2dnUVZ_tidnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "mleuck" wrote:
>>
>> I've never considered sites like that very credible
>
> The problem is there's no way to verify anything.

BBB is not much better except that they actively contact people.

Example:  LA Computer Center sold me a toner cartridge for one of my laser
printers.  (I shoulda checked them out first).  I paid for red label and
they shipped ground.  That was my original complaint.  I demanded the
difference in shipping charges back.  Because they didn't ship like they
were supposed to I bought one from somebody else.  After a dozen or more
calls, faxes, and e-mails I gave up on them and filed a complaint with the
BBB and the prosecuting attorney's office in their home town.

They had an F with BBB.  I wish I had taken the time to look.  Anyway,
almost 2 years later I got a letter from BBB saying that LACC had paid me
back and it was all resolved.  It was a lie.  I never got anything from them
except a hard time, and SPAM in my inbox.  Well, being the kind of person
that I am I followed up on it, and checked records for a year.  Then told
BBB to ask LACC to prove they had paid me back.  I also checked their
current rating.  They had joined the BBB since my first encounter with them
and disputed all their negatives.  They had gone from an F to an A-.  They
hadn't improved.  They hadn't paid ME back.  They just learned how to pay
the game.  (That was not a typo)  They learned if you pay the BBB you get to
rewrite history.  This is one of many reason while I can't imagine me ever
being a BBB member.

Oh, yeah.  And when I finally got around to opening the box and trying to
use the toner cartridge it was broken.  A big hole in the side and it leaked
toner everywhere, and even after slapping a patch over the hole the
internals didn't work properly.

By following up 2 years later I was able to atleast keep my complaint from
being listed as resolved.  How many people are going to do that?  It's a lot
of work and time to do that.  A lot of time to make sure a $20 complaint
stays on their rating.  For me it was about getting ripped off though, and
them jerking me around when I tried to get it resolved.

One complaint does not mean there is a problem with an individual or with a
business, but a whole bunch of complaints does.  BBB perverts the process
though, by allowing vendors to try and list complaints as resolved years
later.