OT

But I know someone here will know how to answer this:

What is this whirlygig thingie in my furnace?  It spins around and
makes a whistling sound while the furnace is firing up, then shuts
itself off and sits idle until the next cycle.

Apparently someone else in my building seemed to think it was useless,
and tore it off of their furnace because of the whistling sound,
because I saw an identical part that had been broken off a furnace and
tossed into the alley behind our building.

http://www.kriho.com/arandomk/whirlygiggie-heater-thingie.jpg

Apparently this is part of an "inducer motor" and I fear for the
health of whomever tore this piece off of their furnace and threw it
away.
.
What is it inducing?  The air current through the exhaust, or the air
current through the venturi?

Also, is there any sort of schedule that is recommended or mandated
for inspection of flues?  (I live in a rented apartment in Cicero,
IL).

If someone could direct me to the correct NG I would be grateful.

--
YOP...