Re: Honeywell ICM module discontinued

On Feb 5, 10:40=EF=BF=BDpm, "Robert L Bass" <nore...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The real strength of Z-Wave is that anything from one
> manufacturer will interface with anyone else's system. =EF=BF=BDSo
> you choose an ELK Products M1G or maybe next year's Napco or
> Honeywell panel for that matter. =EF=BF=BDYou can control your
> lights and your HVAC system no matter what make it is, as
> long as it's got a Z-Wave thermostat. =EF=BF=BDAny manufacturer can
> make a Z-Wave compatible thermostat (they all do pretty much
> the same thing).
>
> The alarm installer doesn't need to sell thermostats or even
> know how to connect one. =EF=BF=BDAll he needs is an alarm control
> panel that can talk Z-Wave and he's able to offer security
> with home automation interface. =EF=BF=BDADT is making a smart move
> with this, but there's nothing to keep even small dealers
> from doing the same thing.
>
> I wouldn't worry too much about over-burdened RF in this
> area. =EF=BF=BDNotwithstanding the current issue with wireless
> microphones, the FCC is loathe to take things back once a
> band has been opened to a particular use. =EF=BF=BDSince the signals
> on these systems are short-range (something like 100 meters
> may be the functional limit). =EF=BF=BDAlso, If I understand
> correctly, every device has a unique ID that no device from
> any manufacturer can copy.
>
> Only time will tell but I expect HA to be a good size slice
> of the alarm industry pie in a few years.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Robert L Bass

I'll be waiting for the electricians to try to grab it because it has
to do with lighting. The Unions keep trying to push the electricians
into all of these technical markets but it never seems to catch hold
except in areas like NYC. where they force out the non union companies
so the only choice the consumer has for electronic technology
installations is a highly paid electrical outlet installer. The
electricians just can't seem to figure out why they can't install
these types of technologies with a pair of diagonal pliers, a claw
hammer or without a fish tape.

I get a real laugh out of some of the "snaking" they do.

I was just in one of my wealthiest customers house. He called me to
run some wires from his newly wall mounted TV to his A/V components,
in his lush, textured painted walls master bed room. The electrician
was there before me to run an AC wire from a molding level wall outlet
below, up to behind the TV. There was a fire stop in the wall. Dontcha
think he broke a hole in the wall, right where it's visible between
the dresser and the TV, and notched out the fire stop. Un frickin
believable!

All he had to do was make the outlet hole behind the TV and from
there, drill through the fire stop which was about 6 inches below the
bottom edge of the TV. OR ... He could have made ANY size hole he
needed, so long as it was hidden by the TV. The Mr. wasn't home at the
time and his wife just let the electrician alone, figuring he was
going to have a fragment of a brain enough to not destroy the very
expensive, textured painted wall.