Re: Honeywell ICM module discontinued

"Jim" wrote:

> ...The automatic networking of Zwave devices
> could well be the answer to the the unreliability
> that has plagued the products in this market.

The real strength of Z-Wave is that anything from one
manufacturer will interface with anyone else's system.  So
you choose an ELK Products M1G or maybe next year's Napco or
Honeywell panel for that matter.  You can control your
lights and your HVAC system no matter what make it is, as
long as it's got a Z-Wave thermostat.  Any manufacturer can
make a Z-Wave compatible thermostat (they all do pretty much
the same thing).

The alarm installer doesn't need to sell thermostats or even
know how to connect one.  All he needs is an alarm control
panel that can talk Z-Wave and he's able to offer security
with home automation interface.  ADT is making a smart move
with this, but there's nothing to keep even small dealers
from doing the same thing.

I wouldn't worry too much about over-burdened RF in this
area.  Notwithstanding the current issue with wireless
microphones, the FCC is loathe to take things back once a
band has been opened to a particular use.  Since the signals
on these systems are short-range (something like 100 meters
may be the functional limit).  Also, If I understand
correctly, every device has a unique ID that no device from
any manufacturer can copy.

Only time will tell but I expect HA to be a good size slice
of the alarm industry pie in a few years.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics