Re: Esprit 728 keypads

"Doug" <not@xxxxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
H%vhn.24913$Ye4.23085@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "tourman" <robercampbell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>>The issue here is that this company gets in and out of products line
>>faster than I change my socks and doesn't keep any of the old
>>equipment in stock to be ordered by dealers for replacement purposes.
>
> I don't believe its feasible or economically possible to make every new
> product compatible with everything that's been produced before, especially
> given the low prices of alarm panels and keypads.

I am not really with you on that..

Can you explain to me why a keyboard build for IBM pc 286 can still work
(with a small adaptor) on new computer?

simply enough the keyboard is a dumb device, same thing with a screen, it
will only show that the computer ask to display, dumb devive..

If keypad were built like that, they could be reuse on new system without
problem..

Its all a mather of design.And it would cost even less for manufacturer to
design a new panel since they would not have to reinvent the wheel (or
keypad) ;-)

Nor, I suspect is it
> desirable from a manufactures viewpoint, they want to shift new product
> and as much of it as possible. Its not necessarily in their best interests
> to have everything backwards compatible, even it were possible, as it
> reduces the sale of new product..

On the contrary, if part of a customer system is compatible with a new
panel, the customer would more likely upgrade its system at a lesser cost
then install a whole new system.
That way they keep a good pool of customer that will keep on with the
company line, and when the old keypad fail, we sell a new one and its all
ok.