Re: Problem with Scantronic avenger VI

On Aug 28, 8:41=A0am, Euh <Euh...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Do you know how to test the battery to be able to "anticipate" it's
> > end of life rather than waiting until it's actually to late? Remember
> > now, if the battery is bad, and you don't know it, it's quite possible
> > that if an actual alarm occurs, the panel won't be able to blow the
> > siren or send a signal to central.
>
> An old manual found on the web suggest to trigger the alarm and
> detect if the siren sound is weaker when AC power is removed
> (in which case the battery should be replaced).
> They suggest weekly checking! (my neighbours would be happy...)

Good! that's the way to do it. It would be better if you were to put a
voltmeter across the battery when you test it. It can be hard to tell
from one test to another if the siren sounds weaker and when it you
can finally tell that it sounds tooo weak, it's already too late. Put
the meter across the battery terminals. pull the transformer. Blow the
siren and if the battery voltage reading goes below 12 volts DC,
change the battery. Let the siren ring for about 5 minutes.
( Unfortunate for your neighbors .... but ...) I think weekly is a bit
too much when the battery is brand new, but just remember what I said
about later on when the battery gets near it's end of life. The older
it gets the more rapid the decline in performance. ( Just like
people ;-)

And, I've got to say it one more time, after ten years, it's time to
upgrade your equipment. The panel may seem to work for you ... but
only because  you're used to it. I've been doing this for over 40
years and the technology is changing at an ever increasing rate. You
could have avoided all of this with a newer piece of equipment that
had many times the capability and features of yours for half the price
that you paid for the one you have. Although, I would have someone
else install it. Not trying to insult you but, you don't seem to have
a good grasp on this sort of thing.