Re: Seeking m/m adapter for a cam power cord

On Aug 1, 7:44=A0am, nick markowitz <nmarkow...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Aug 1, 12:44=A0am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 31, 4:51=A0pm, Unused Classified <strangw...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Hi
> > > I just ran a wire (video and power combined) from the DVR through the
> > > crawlspace and out into the yard for a cam that will be up in a tree.
> > > Only to find that the wire and the cam both have female connectors.
> > > The video connector is fine, I found an adapter, but the 12 volt powe=
> > > is not.
> > > I really don't want to do any wires splicing.
>
> > > Can anyone point me to a site that sells with a Male/Male 12 volt
> > > adapter or a male/male patch cord?
>
> > > Thanks
>
> > By the way, you're gonna have to seal those connectors pretty good or
> > keep them inside a weatherproof box. I don't know what part of the
> > country you're in but any kind of dampness or humidity eventually does
> > a job on open connectors. It's usually electrolysis and corrosion that
> > takes it's toll. Especially on the power connector.
>
> Seems like no matter what you do around here with in 2-5 years your
> back cleaning or replacing connectors.
> They blame it on Acid rain but who knows.-

I live near the sea shore and I'm a boat owner and I install alarms in
boats. The main difference between me and the (so called) boat
electronic companys that also, by the way, incidentenly install alarm
systems along with radar, VHF radios, and other boat
electronics  ..... is that they don't have a clue about alarm systems.
For some reason they just don't give their alarm installations the
same "marine protocol" that they give their other electronic installs.
I've never seen an alarm job that they've done, that lasts more than a
couple of seasons or three. It may be due to the fact that most of the
marine equipment that they buy is set up and supplied with all the
weather/water seals and marine approved connections and with alarm
systems, it's got to be done by the installers. They're too lazy to
take the precautions. I've even seen them install a car alarm in a
boat. If they make it through one season that'd be a record. Any alarm
that is made specifically for marine installation, usually falls in
the category of Tinker Toy or Mattel. There's only one that's made by
a ligitimate alarm mfg but it's priced for a large boat.

Corrosion/Electrolysis is the main culprit. I pull all the equipment
apart, panels, kepads, sensors ..... make the wire connections with
marine grade wire, spray the boards/electroics with waterproofing
spray and make all connections with gel connectors. Then I seal the
boxes/casings with silicone. There's one boat that I did about 20
years ago that's now with it's 3rd owner and the only thing I've had
to do in all that time is change the keypad once. My boat has been
done longer that that without changing out anything.

Anything that's going to be  used out doors has got to be sealed,
sprayed, taped, whatever. Dampness/water/humidity will do it's worst
on anything electronic that hasn't been designed to be used out
doors.

I get a kick out of some of these CCTV cameras that claim that they're
indoor/outdoor cameras. Yet, if you look at where the wire comes out
of the camera they just have a standard grommet and not a compression
fitting or sealant. Or, the wire comes out through the mounting
bracket ...supposedly to avoid water infusion. Yet the mounting
brackets have weep holes in them so any water that gets behind the
bracket can come out. I guess the dampness/humidity/water is supposed
to know that it's not supposed to go IN those holes.