LYNXRPK-2

Quick question regarding the LYNXRPK-2 wireless security system.

I've just opened the box and barely skimmed the manaul, so maybe this is
explained in the manual, but after installing the backup battery and AC
power, I entered the installer's code and set the backlight timeout to 0.
This should set the backlight to continuous, but it remains off.  Is there a
trick, or is it possibly defective?

Best,
Christopher