Re: Which system is better?

"tourman" wrote:

> RHC: In our jurisdiction, exterior sirens are illegal (against the noise
> bylaws). So that makes the decision easy. We can put in an exterior strobe
> light though, supposedly making it easier for police to find the house.....

We never ran into any of that, except an occasional homeowner's association
would restrict what could be mounted on the outside of a building.  I always
installed the loudest exterior sirens I could get.  Where appearance was an
issue we would install a 40-Watt speaker inside the attic louver and connect
it to a siren driver in the panel.  My old favorite was the Moose JDS-108.  On
larger homes we would install two outside and at least one inside horn --
sometimes two.

I never had a homeowner or neighbor get shot responding to a siren.  We did
have one funny case that resulted in an arrest, though our client was not the
victim.  A burglar broke into a home across the street from my client.
Someone else had installed an alarm on the victim's home and it sounded,
alerting the neighbors.  One very large neighbor ran after the fleeing thief.
Instead of running away though, the idiot ran back inside the house and hid
there.  My client saw the activity and pressed the panic button on his alarm.
We dispatched and the police came along and picked up one very scared (and
very stupid) bad guy.

The upshot to this was this guy was wanted on a series of apartment burglaries
and rapes in apartments in West Hartford and Farmington, where we later
installed several alarms.  I don't know if he was convicted on those but he
did get time for the burglary.  The arrest was in Wethersfield, CT.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics