Re: Foiling ?? 2 all~Jim

On Oct 26, 4:07=EF=BF=BDpm, lonelyher...@xxxxxxxxx (bigolebill) wrote:
> When I talked about using glue to install foil. I used mucilage glue and
> water.
> 1/4 part glue and 3/4 parts water. then I used the head off a rubber
> spatula, to remove any
> excess glue & water.
> Then covered it with varnish.

There were people that I knew who used that method but I always
thought that after the job aged, that remnants of the glue stayed
under the foil and turned white after awhile. We always used the
"thin" varnish and then the "thick" varnish.

I remember that the point of discussion and argument was always how
one did his corners. Some left the "tab" exposed. I always "buried"
the tab. And then of course there were opportunities to show off and
do "indented" corners and the epitome was being able to foil a round
piece of glass or do "round" corners or an oval on a shop door. I  did
a couple, but not as good as some of the guys could. There were some
real "artists" back then. Towards the end of the foil era, in what had
been a male dominated trade, companys were hiring women, just to do
foil. They were pretty good at it.