Re: remote site battery power only

"mleuck" <m.leuck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:244259f7-7e24-46c5-a8e0-2a7422650fb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Oct 1, 5:45 pm, CH®IS <s...@xxxxx> wrote:
>> "terry" wrote...
>> > have any of you professionals ever installed a remote site that has no
>> > hydro
>> > power? what could be done to power the alarm system from 12DC power
>>
>> Would a large enough solar panel/battery setup have the power to run a
>> typical automotive inverter?
>>
>> Would a typical automotive inverter have enough power to run a panel? I
>> hear the wattage ratings on them are usually a random number way above
>> what
>> they'll actually do.
>>
>> Would it all be reliable?
>
> No

If its large if enough... YES.

> Yes

If its large if enough... YES.

> No

If its large if enough... YES.

The big key I have run into on remote sites is battery capacity.  About 30
AH handles a decent alarm and cellular with no outages.  If lots of devices
I might go with a little more battery, but 30 AH is usually more than
enough.

Like I said in my other post I have done a number of remote sites on solar.
You can't skip on your solar panel or your batteries though.  I do not use
usually use an inverter.  Inverters waste energy.  I just got straight to
the batteries with a charge controller.

By experimentation I found a 33 watt solar panel to be just barely
inadequate, but a 60 watt panel does the trick with no issues here in Az.
In northern climates it would fail in the winter due to shorter daylight
hours, and of course snow could be an issue.