Re: Foiling ??

On Oct 17, 5:46=EF=BF=BDam, lonelyher...@xxxxxxxxx (bigolebill) wrote:
> Is foiling a window a lost art?
> What about a UL alarm?

I still do foil if the job already has it, but I'm from that "old
school" who did hundreds of windows with foil when there was no other
way to detect glass breakage. I've got jobs where the foil has been on
for 25 / 30 years. It needs an occasional touch up but I usually do
that when I go for a service call. I'm surprised that I don't get more
calls for repairs from window washer damage, since I'm sure that many
of them don't even know what the foil is or how it can be damaged. All
the jobs I have left are commercial/retail shops. Years ago, when I
heard that Brooklyn Foil was going out of business, I bought about a
dozen rolls of regular foil and a few UL rolls. I put them in plastic
bags in my freezer with a couple of hundred foil blocks. I've got
about 10 rolls left. Figure I can will them to a museum some day.

As far as UL jobs, I don't do any, anymore, but nowdays I'm sure there
are other types of glass break detectors that are listed for those
jobs.

Except for the maintinence of foil, in my opinion, if it's applied
properly, it still provides the best detection of glass breakage.