Re: Brinks & Broadview Takeovers

"Jim" wrote:

> In New York, we are required to notify clients at least 30 days prior to the
> expiration of their agreement via certified mail. There is no automatic
> renewal.

I agree.  That is fair and reasonable.  In CT we had a number of crooked
competitors who used 60- and 90-day required notice, gave horribl;e service
and would threaten customers with credit reports (even when they knew the
client had notified within the alotted time), threatened us with lawsuits,
etc., when clients would ask us to take over and repair their often
non-functioning systems.  ABC was just one of several in my state that did
rotten stuff like this all the time so it really left a bad taste.

> This is fair, in my opinion.

Yep.

> There are some states that don't require any notification and some that
> require the client to remember that his contract is coming due, five years
> later and has to notifiy the alarm company. Not so fair.

Worse, those contracts are often renewed for another three, four or five year
period.  I have no beef with what you're doing -- only with the scum who ruin
the industry in the eyes of end users.  Remember my old nemesis, the MM?  That
guy did every dirty trick in the book to his customers.  I know because I got
calls from a number of them when we briefly used the same CS.  These were
people in NJ who went so far as to seek an out-of-state contractor.
Presumably they had trouble finding anyone locally who would even touch his
messes.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass