Re: Any alarms companies that you can reccomend for the San Diego Area??

"Spellcheck Patrol" wrote:

> You should have seen the traffic jam I was stuck in yesterday on my way to
> work. It was bumper to bumper from the bedroom, down the hallway, and all
the way to my desk. My son needs to stop doing that with his cars.

Heh, heh, heh... Sounds like my house these days.  I have a nice, young room
mate (just friends) and her 7 year old son.  The little guy is amazing -- runs
all over the house and hugs everybody all the time.  :^)

> We're in the final stages with tweaking. Need to dump the javascript and
> create an html dropdown for state/county/city. Crawlers can't read java.
> Huge project, and a huge file but since we have limited pictures on the site
> it shouldn't affect loading time.  We considered ajax but again the crawlers
> won't read the content...

I don't know anything about javascript or ajax.  I use static pages and
standard HTML for my menus for one reason only.  Google likes them.  I tried
all kinds of things using dynamic content years ago and all it did was
complicate things.

> I don't know how the hell you manage thousands of pages but my hat's off to
> you for doing it.

It's pretty straight forward the way we set it up.  I set up a henu tree for
each manufacturer first.  Then I upload basic product data into a MYSQL
database using some spreadsheets I created.  Once the master product list from
a particular manufacturer is input I cut, paste and edit text and images from
the manufacturer's website.  I use Photoshop to tweak images to fit my
templates where necessary.

> Yeah you have some that need updating but that site is so huge you'd need 2
> f/t designers to keep up with the changes.

There nearly three hundred thousand product in my website.  The vast majority
have only a model number, one-line description, price, weight and a "buy"
button.  I do detailed pages on the most important products as time allows.
When a client asks for a proposal on something where there's only basic data,
I do a complete presentation of each product in the bid and then submit it.
That way, when a customer clicks the links on the proposal e-mail, each one
takes him to a professional looking page on the product.  This works fins
except when we get multiple bid requests in a short time frame, as happened
this past week just while I'm having a hard time with my chemo.  :(

Anyway, my only advice structure-wise is stay with simple HTML as much as
possible.  It works on every browser and every platform and all the search
engines like it.  As to content, you're on the right path.  Just keep adding
your own writing and drop whatever you've "borrowed" as quickly as you can so
you don't get any crap from wiki or whomever.  Best of luck with it, Tom.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics