Re: remote site battery power only

"mleuck" <m.leuck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:43f6ac4b-963f-4948-84a7-f9f993d73802@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Oct 1, 8:29 pm, "Bob La Londe" <nos...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> "mleuck" <m.le...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>> > No
>>
>> If its large if enough... YES.
>>
>> > Yes
>>
>> If its large if enough... YES.
>>
>> > No
>>
>> If its large if enough... YES.
>>
>> The big key I have run into on remote sites is battery capacity. About 30
>> AH handles a decent alarm and cellular with no outages. If lots of
>> devices
>> I might go with a little more battery, but 30 AH is usually more than
>> enough.
>>
>> Like I said in my other post I have done a number of remote sites on
>> solar.
>> You can't skip on your solar panel or your batteries though. I do not use
>> usually use an inverter. Inverters waste energy. I just got straight to
>> the batteries with a charge controller.
>>
>> By experimentation I found a 33 watt solar panel to be just barely
>> inadequate, but a 60 watt panel does the trick with no issues here in Az.
>> In northern climates it would fail in the winter due to shorter daylight
>> hours, and of course snow could be an issue.
>
> Something tells me the OP isn't wanting to put that much time, energy
> and money into it

Probably, but with an honest answer they can make that decision.  I have
some very good clients who spend a lot of money with me because I try to
think about their issues and give them the best information I can.

P.S.  I just installed a system in a site that had an old Monitronics
labeled panel.  (You want it back?)  I was all prepared to be impressed.
The installer had fished a contact down inside the aluminum frame of a glass
door frame.  Very nice.  Contact was inside the header totally concealed,
and the mag was glue in place in the top of the door.  Then I walked to the
back and they stabled the wire down the wall (crookedly) and stuck a surface
mount directly to the steel door and frame.  Oh, well.  I guess I was only
half impressed. LOL.

Half the site look like it was done by a high end installer who cared, and
half looked like it had been done by a lick and stick hack.