Re: Ping: Jim (Napco PCI-Mini)

"JoeRaisin" wrote:

> A case could be made that [HR675 is] an end around posse comitatus in that it
> does give DOD employees authority over folks they previously did not have.  I
> don't quite buy that in that the Act is specifically aimed at active duty
> military personnel.

I don't think such a case would be valid because the employees in question are
not military.  Posse Comitatus is not a general rule prohibiting federal
personnel from having police powers.  It is very specifically a ban on the
military becoming the police.  The ban exists to separate the military, which is
not and of necessity cannot be a democratic institution, from policing the
common citizens.

There's more to it, of course.  Posse Comitatus also serves to preserve the
separation (with it the balance) of powers which is a critical part of our
system of government.  If the military rules the streets, the president can by
fiat control the entire country.

HR675 seeks only to better enable existing law enforcement personnel to do their
jobs and to protect themselves and us.  This would be considered a good thing.
Of course, an action being good for the country is no protection against nutty
attacks from those who see Marxist conspiracy at every turn.  That's why God
gave us Twitter though -- so folks would have someplace other than Usenet to
complain.  :^)

> I've already detailed the problems I have with it.  In fact, I would almost go
> so far to say that I would rather have a newly stood up national police force
> then give such authority to some of the clowns I remember.

ABIK, the law has no impact on civilian law enforcement personnel on military
bases.  They already have power of arrest and they carry guns.  I won't argue
with you as to the caliber of most of those folks since I don't know anything
about them and clearly you do.  The only one I know of though, is definitely a
hero.  I hope she's not alone.

> Then again - I do hope it's different now.

Most things do change and not always for the worse.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics