An ethical conundrum... Opinions welcome!

We're hip deep in a major fire alarm system upgrade on two residential
high-rise towers with an interconnected parkade.  The old fire alarm
systems are being monitored by a company that obviously cares more for
the RMR than they do for the safety of their customer.  There are no
test signals programmed!  The service manager stated to me that test
signals are an additional cost which the customer opted not to send.
The company is charging the customer $22.00 a month for "basic" service.
  The communicators haven't been transmitting for over two years (that's
when the electrician removed them from the wall and placed them neatly
in the corner of the electrical room).  The alarm company's invoice
supposedly has a reminder to "test your system monthly" and this is all
they're relying on!  The customer started refusing the invoices within
three months of the panel's disconnection.  Granted, he didn't send the
company a proper notice.  The company suspended service on both accounts
last year (November).  Are they entitled to two years billing or just
one?  Should any professional alarm dealer even offer to monitor a fire
alarm system without a daily test signal?  I shudder to think of the
possible liability issues involved.