Re: Gate Sensor?

"Robert L Bass" wrote...

> I have only one objection to pull apart sensors.  You have to remember to
> reconnect them every time you use the gate.  Homeowners may be good at
> remembering but the mailman, newspaper carrier, UPS drivers, etc., are not
> likely to do it.  That means every time someone other than a family member
> leaves the property it's necessary to go out and fix the thing again.  My
> guess is that after a while they'll stop using it and just bypass the
> zone.

Very true.  It comes down to a matter of getting them to get their staff
into the habit of using them.  Other people aren't a concern, these are
always gates that are only closed when the business is closed... and are
locked.

> The problem with gates becoming misaligned is true with older fences.
> Newer ones may hold up better for some years.  I've used GE Security's
> wide gap sensors for gates on a number of sites with fairly good results.
> The sensors have a 3" gap.  During installation I try to get them no more
> than 1/2" apart. That way if they move out an inch or two over time the
> zone is still good.

Do you have a link for these contacts?  It's been awhile since I've had to
play with one of these gate contacts but I don't believe they get close to
3" of a reliable gap.

> I used GE's overhead door contacts for the same reason.  In Connecticut
> winters there were frequent snow storms.  When snow and ice would build up
> the doors didn't always close completely.  By placing the magnet on top of
> the door where it had to pass by the contact I got almost 5-inches of play
> before the sensor would trip.  With a gate contact you don't have a way to
> extend the coverage like that but the 3" gap is often enough.

Connecticut winters?  I spent a couple minutes on google trying to figure
out if those exist.  I'm quite sure they don't.

Speaking of winters though, the other problem we have is with beam systems.
The posts are always moving around with the weather.  Turns out the best way
to protect something is to remove the fence and build a wall.

- Chris