Re: Ping: Jim (Napco PCI-Mini)

"mleuck" wrote:

>> Most choose Napco because of its power and flexibility.
>
> Yet they still haven't created a decent IP module A graphic touch keypad A
> wireless keypad

Apparently, Napco feels there isn't much of a market for ta graphic touchpad.
Considering how few of them Honeywell sells, they're probably right.  True,
Napco offers wireless keyfobs but has no wireless keypad.  I get about 2 or 3
queries for one per year though we sell several Napco systems a day.  I guess we
can live without that one, too.

Napco has an IP interface but I have not tried it so I can't comment.

> Can your vaunted DIY customers download over cell? Uhh no yet DSC, GE/Caddx,
> Honeywell can

I don't recall anyone ever asking to do so.  You, on the other hand, routinely
harp on the "fact" that most installers don't download at all.

> Control over the Internet like Alarm.com? uhh no

Same thing.  Those who want Internet control usually ask for a home automation
system.  We sell those as well.  However, a fair number of my clients have
integrated Napco systems with PC-centric home automation systems.  The systems
can be accessed and controlled over the Internet or LAN.

>> Some installing companies which mainly sell simple, quick-to-install packages
>> might prefer another manufacturer, especially one that doesn't require
>> technical know-how. I understand your preference.

> Who is "most"?

Most what?  The cited paragraph does not include the word, "most."  I said that
*some* installers prefer quick-to-install systems.  That has been discussed at
length here for years and is certainly an accepted fact by anyone who deals in
facts.  I understand that you might disagree.

> would they be your customers?

I primarily deal with my customers but you're still harping on "most."

> If so the explanation is easy since thats the only panel you know anything
> about.

I'm sure you'd like to believe that.

> Napco is no more powerful or flexible than any other brand.

There over are 60 indepentantly selectably options for every zone on a typical
Napco panel.  System-wide options are far more flexible than anything from
Honeywell, GE or DSC -- arguably the most popular brands among dealers who post
here.  Napco is also far better built than DSC.

> Napco takes far longer to download not because they are transferring any more
> data than
anyone else but their method of data transfer is slow

If you find it slow then you're not doing it right.  The typical Napco panel
takes a few seconds to download.  Contrast that with DSC, which takes so long
and requires trips from panel to keypad and back just to get started.  Data
transfer to a Napco panel via PCI-Mini (in case you don't remember, that is the
subject of this thread) is lightning fast by comparison.

> The Napco PCI-Mini allows the DIY installer to quickly diagnose any problems
> that might arise during and after installation.

The PC-Mini is a long obsolete piece of equpiment. No other
manufacturer requires dongles like that to direct-connect their
panels.

Then again, most panels can't be direct-connected at all or, like Honeywell,
require a more costly -- *dedicated* -- serial interface which cannot be used
for any other purpose.  The same is true of GE panels.  But then, you're the guy
who claims that downloading is of no importance since almost no dealers
(according to you) use downloading software.

On that subject, I think it's worth examining your perspective.  You work for a
company that monitors and programs panels for dealers around the country.  As
such, you're more likely to encounter a subset of dealers -- those who have less
need to use downloading software.  In all probability your perspective is
inaccurately colored by not being exposed to *most* installers.  I don't say
this to belittle you -- only to point out that you may not be seeing the overall
picture.

It is certain that my perspective as to end user needs varies from yours since
my clients are mainly DIYers.  My average customer has more skills and a better
understanding of or, at least, a greater interest in learning his security
system's capabilities.  As such, the DIY user is more likely to insist on the
kind of flexibility Napco offers.  He may have been be snookered by some
character into buying a DSC or something like that but that won't happen again.

>> For those who want to get in and out fast because all they care about is
>> selling another monitoring contract to maximise revenue, Napco might not be
>> the preferred choice.

> Napco doesn't seem to agree with you since they also make the low-end XP and
> GEM panels

I haven't sold any of those panels.  Come to think of it, I don't recall any
customers ever asking about them either.

>> I can teach a new DIYer to program the typical, 16- to 32-zone system in less
>> than a half hour on the phone. Smaller jobs take about 20 minutes to
>> configure.

> Since you can only instruct them to download instead of keypad programming...

Only an idiot would prefer keypad programming Napco panels.  There are too many
ways to screw up the system doing it that way.  Using the free downloading
software it's a snap to get it right the first time.

> that doesn't surprise me but Does the Darth Vader breathing cost extra?

Huh??

>> I understand your preference for systems that the client can't program.

> Which system would that be?

Any system you program and then lock out so the end user who owns it can't
access programming of his own security system.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics