Re: DIY Wireless System Recommendations?

On May 23, 2:01=A0am, Frank Olson
<use_the_email_li...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> y...@xxxxxx wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 May 2009 06:58:43 -0700, Frank Olson
> > <use_the_email_li...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Installing a system (particularly wireless) isn't as "easy" as some
> >> DIYer's may think. =A0The features you list are pretty well "standard"=
 in
> >> any system you get these days. =A0DSC sells a wireless "all-in-one" un=
it,
> >> but I would strongly suggest that the main keypad (which is also your
> >> common control) be located somewhere other than next to an entry door.
> >> This goes for practically any of the "all-in-one" type alarms (like
> >> Ademco's Lynx, and Visonic's Power-Max). =A0Of the three I've mentione=
d,
> >> all are relatively simple to program, but if you've read some of the
> >> questions posted here, you'll find that programming an alarm system
> >> requires a knowledge of alarm terminology. =A0GE/Sentrol publish an
> >> installation handbook that will answer most of your questions regardin=
> >> special applications like installing sensors in steel doors. =A0It's
> >> geared to sell Sentrol/GE branded equipment, but the applications are
> >> pretty well universal. =A0You can download it from the FAQ's page at
> >>http://yoursecuritysource.com.
>
> >> One more thing... =A0If you're contemplating the purchase of this
> >> equipment "online", I'd suggest you compare prices and service with on=
> >> of your LOCAL alarm providers as well. =A0Additionally, warranty may n=
ot
> >> apply to your installation unless a dealer (aka professional installer=
)
> >> checks your terminations prior to power-up. =A0If you compare the cost
> >> you'll pay for shipping the equipment with the cost for a two hour
> >> service call, I think you'll come out ahead using the local dealer as
> >> your parts source.
>
> >> Regards,
> >> Frank Olson
>
> > Thanks for the info Frank. =A0I've downloaded the handbook you
> > mentioned. =A0Yes, I'd definately be hiding the main unit somewhere. =
=A0My
> > neighbor had a Honeywell/Ademco installed by ADT. =A0Its control panel
> > is 2 feet from the front entry door! Yikes!
>
> > Initially I don't plan on having the system monitored by a Central
> > Office. =A0I will have it dial my cellphone. =A0If after all is working=
> > might get monitoring but to me, unless you have a GSM module, its too
> > easy for the telephone line to get cut.
>
> > Thanks again for the input. =A0I certainly appreciate it.
>
> Yeah... =A0I see things went their usual downward spiral from here. =A0So=
me
> professionals have pretty strong feelings about voice dialers and many
> DIYer's have attempted to use the "page" option to dial a cell phone
> with little to some success.
>
> I consider my family to be my most precious "gift" and wouldn't consider
> [...]

RHC: Frank, with this idiot, I think you are probably wasting your
time. Personally, I have largely given up the polite route. For years,
I carefully crafted my responses to ensure no mis-interpretation, and
to ensure I didn't accidentally insult someone. However, there are
some people who are so stupid they simply don't deserve any other kind
or response than the ones he got. I'll go a million miles to help any
alarm user, including those who unwisely choose to "self monitor";
however, stupid is as stupid does. Mark said it right on with this
guy.....