Re: House fire blamed on smoke detector

On Mar 8, 5:56=A0pm, "Doug" <n...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The danger as I see it is the cheap smokes typically sold at the big box =
stores
> and installed by builders and homeowners alike, these things seem to alar=
> if someone cuts the cheese in the next street, IMO the sheer number of fa=
lse
> activation's cause people to disable them to prevent nuisance alarms.

  In almost every case, the smoke detectors are disabled where the
stove has no vent to the outside.  It is a barefaced lie that stoves
with charcoal filter fans are sufficient.  Nonsense. It should be a
crime to build a house with a stove that does not vent directly to the
outside.   Every disabled smoke detector I have seen is in homes where
the stove fan does not vent outside.  I don't even recall seeing a
disabled smoke detector in a home where the stove fan is vented.