Re: DLS security stamps

On Mar 10, 8:12=A0pm, CH=AEIS <s...@xxxxx> wrote:
> "KingFish" <a...@xxxxxx> wrote in message

> > "CH=AEIS" <s...@xxxxx> wrote in messagenews:c6ptl.16192$Db2.7440@edtnps=
83...
> >> For those of you using DSC's DLS software, I could use some advice abo=
ut
> >> the security stamp feature.
>
> >> I just installed DLS, entered a security stamp, created an account,
> >> copied the account files to another folder and uninstalled DLS includi=
ng
> >> deleting its C:\DLS folder.
>
> >> I then reinstalled DLS, entered a new security stamp, copied the accou=
nt
> >> files back in, and it loaded the file just fine.
>
> >> So I'm left wondering what the point is of the security stamp? =A0I'm
> >> playing with this because I'd like to wipe out our laptop and DLS is o=
ne
> >> of the few things that would get reinstalled. =A0However, I don't want=
> >> lose access to all the accounts on there, and the person who set it up
> >> passed away years ago, leaving little chance of ever finding that stam=
> >> to reuse.
>
> >> Any tips would be great. =A0I'm not even sure if this would be somethi=
ng
> >> anyone's played with, but ya never know.
>
> >> - Chris
> > I'd call DSC tech support.
>
> So I stand somewhat corrected... I emailed one of the accounts from work =
> myself today to try to open it here. =A0Turns out DLS is smart enough to =
ask
> for the correct stamp and won't let me into this account.
>
> Perhaps I shall call them tomorrow then. =A0It wouldn't be the end of the
> world if all the accounts were ever lost off of there, but it would be a
> pain in the ass.
>
> - Chris

RHC: Don't take this as gospel, but I seem to remember running into
the same problem some years ago. I seem to remember that DSC tech
support were able to tell me how to modify one line of the software
down at the most basic level that allowed me around the problem.
Mention this to their tech support if they tell you that you are SOAL.
I seem to remember it is possible albeit even then, it was not
easy......