Re: WTF

Frank Olson wrote:

>Funny you should ask that.  I'd been listening to a radio talk show on
>CKNW when this very subject was answered by BC's Attorney General.
>Apparently, there are over 3000 individuals registered to grow weed for
>personal medical reasons (glaucoma, cancer, kidney disease) in Canada
>not just BC.  AFAIK it's "legal" as long as it's for personal use, but
>if you're "registered", you're pretty well immune from Police raids on
>your house.  Mind you, I think the cops take a dim view of anyone having
>200 plants in their house using the excuse that's it's for "personal
>use", but one or two's OK *as long as no one complains*.  You should
>really check with the local authority because I hear every jurisdiction
>may have their own "view".

Interesting.  The reason I ask is because I saw a show on CNBC about the
marijuana business.  It seems in Mendocino County, CA, local authorities let
them grow up to 30 plants.  They also said Canada has really lax laws about
growing personal stash.

>  The issue is real sensitive these days.  In
>case you haven't heard, we're in the middle of a gang turf war.

I had not heard specifically about Vancouver's gang problem, no.  Of course
there are gangs everywhere now.

>  I was a
>block away from the mall in Langley when I thought I heard automatic
>weapons fire.  I thought it might have been a movie production, but as
>it turns out, it was a gang hit...  in broad daylight...  at a busy
>shopping mall...  Scary!

Wow.  That is pretty fucked up man.

I think Mexico is about to erupt into civil disorder.  The Mexican drug
cartels are now kidnapping people in Phoenix and Atlanta, and they are killing
and beheading their enemies and leaving the bodies out in front of schools for
the kids to see the next day.

I think the answer may very well be to finally de-criminalize pot in the US,
and take away that part of the black market that is causing so much violence.
It would also free police and prisons to handle "real" criminals.