Re: How much of a deterrent is a non-ADT/Brinks home security system?

On Mar 1, 10:48=A0pm, draga...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Mar 1, 10:10=A0pm, "Doug" <n...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > <draga...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > > It makes a lot of sense to me to install our own system and have it
> > > monitored by a company like Next Alarm.
>
> > > What I'm concerned about is the signs outside the house will not be
> > > the familiar ADT/Brinks signs and therefore not have the same
> > > effectiveness at deterring potential burglars. What are your thoughts
> > > on that?
>
> > In the event that you aren't trolling, if you really think that ADT yar=
> > signs are more effective than any other yard signs, then ebay always ha=
> > dozens of ADT yard signs listed.
>
> > Doug
>
> I had a feeling my question must sound ridiculous to all of you, but
> as someone just investigating my options, I am of course first faced
> with the hype.
>
> Thanks for clarifying!
>
> We were about to sign a three-year contract tomorrow with ADT, for $43/
> month and $1050 worth of equipment plus $95 municipal construction
> fee. And then I decided to dig a little deeper!
>
> Just for fun, I'll tell you what was included in the ADT package:
> Service:
> - Standard Monthly Service, Burglary
> - Safewatch Cellguard
> - Extended Limited Warranty/Quality Service Plan
>
> Equipment:
> - 2 custom keypads
> - 3 door sensors
> - 3 motions (2 basement, 1 first floor)
> - 4 window sensors
> - 1 cell backup parallel
> - 1 remote
> - 1 telco (?, can't read this, it could be something else that begins
> with 'Te')
> - 1 sounder- Hide quoted text -

First off i would never use a yard sign why are you cluing off a
burglar you have a system so he knows in advance to cut wires take
precautions etc.  everyone knowns hgow a brinks or adt system is
installed  when a small guy like me puts a custom system in your dead
meat becuse each system is different and takes much more knowledge to
get by  and when  you dont know its there it highly likely you will
get trapped. More important when a burglar walks down a street and
sees a sign on your house and not  see one some one else's he thinks
what does this person have that's valuable their worried about that
other person does not advertise it.
I have a cousin whose husband works as a guard in state prison who can
confirm the above the only thing the sign does is deter the amateur
thief not a professional burglar.
All you have done is wasted your money you want to deter thiefs a
simple alarm is not enough it takes locks lights and a whole other
list of precautuions.