Re: Napco system questions

Robert L Bass wrote:

> No doubt about that.  Napco offers two different keypad genres.  The
> standard "RP" series allows the client to select Interior On/Off and
> Delay/Instant. The newer "K" series have Home Away options (easier to
> use but not as flexible).  All Napco keypads can also be set for
> 1-Button Arming.  There's also an "Easy Exit" feature that allows
> someone inside to trigger a brief countdown and exit without disarming.

And all of the above featurs are available on the DSC panels (and have
been for years) at half the price of a typical Napco or Ademco system.
This is what I meant by "feature rich".

> If the client triggers an "exit error" (the most common type of false
> alarm, according to at least one SIA study), Napco can be programmed to
> restart the exit delay.  This is part of the SIA recommended anti-false
> alarm features.

We usually program our DSC systems to "quick exit".  The keypad counts
down to the armed state once you "set" the system (as do most common
alarms).  If you happen to open and close the exit/entry door before the
expiry of the exit delay, you'll instantly arm the system.  DSC has
"quick keys" for such mundane things as "away" and "stay" arming,
"chime" and "reset".

>> They're also really easy to teach other end-users to use.
>
> So is Napco.  "Observe if 'Ready' LED is lit. Enter code and press 'On'
> button.  When you get back enter your code and press 'Off' button."

DSC and Paradox just need the code (to disarm), one button to arm either
"away" or "stay".

>> People like simple things, Robert.  And most of the installers I've
>> spoken with over the years prefer being able to set up a panel quickly
>> and with minimal "fuss".
>
> I don't doubt that for a moment, Frank.  The problem is, "simple" isn't
> always the same as "better."

Most of my clients want both.  I figure the "better" comes with
"service".  :-)

>> I prefer to keypad program and most systems I set up don't "depart"
>> much from the standard panel defaults...
>
> Because you're selling installed systems, this is no surprise.  We're
> working in differnt ends of the spectrum.

Check.

>> I use the laptop for fire alarm systems most of which are a good deal
>> more complex to program than the "average" home alarm system.
>
> As you know, I'v been involved in that aspect of the business, even from
> the manufacturer's perspective.  Regardless of snide comments from
> certain individuals, I've been more deeply involved in fire alarm
> software development than anyone else participating here.  Programming
> fire panels, while more critical in some ways than burg systems, is only
> more complex on the large scale projects.  Many small to mid-sized fire
> systems actually have fewer programming options than many high-end
> burglar alarm systems.

That goes without saying.

>> I can see that this thread has the potential to degenerate to a level
>> that I personally don't want to see again.  I'll concede that Napco is
>> the superior product in every respect but one, and that's "price".
>> Let's leave it at that.
>
> I have no intention of allowing the thread to degenerate into anything
> less than a discussion of opinions on products.  I would be interested
> to hear how you would replicate my "Orthodox" systems using DSC hardware
> though.  If it can be done, I'll be more than a little impressed.
> Nothing negative implied there, Frank.  I really would like to hear if
> there's a way you know of.

As I stated in another thread, you're going to have to provide the
parameters again.  Include the holiday dates, etc.