True mistakes

  So, here I was, dumb long-haired kid, northern N.J. around 1973, kneeling
on the edge of the kitchen counter over the sink. We're wiring the house for
the alarm, I've got the kitchen window open and I'm drilling the hole in the
sill for the white plastic Redemco plunger contact. We used spade bits, boy
could those tear a hole fast.

So, let's see, if I drill in the middle of the two water faucets, I should
be good to go, right.

No, for some reason the plumber put a  90 deg. elbow on the pipe and I
drilled right into it, and water came spraying up in my face and then all
over the ceiling.

Holy Cow, I jumped off the counter and opened the cabinet underneath and
there was NO SHUT-OFF.

I ran down to the cellar and found a faucet near the water heater and turned
it off.

Then...the strangest thing....I thought I heard someone yell. I remember
looking up at the cellar ceiling, puzzled as hell about that noise could be.
Then some thumping. As I was coming up the cellar stairs, I heard the old
customer guy pounding down the stairs,  yelling "WHAT THE F*CK!!!!, HOLY

He only had a towel around his midsection. He just happened to be taking a
shower.  :-)

Boy, was he madder than a wet hen, I was sure he was going to have a stroke.

I can't remember if I turned off the hot or cold water.

Anyway, the plumber we called took the wall apart and at least he [and my
partner] remarked how strange installing that elbow was. He could have just
gone straight down. Dummy.    ;-)