Re: Napco system questions

"Frank Olson" wrote:

> OK...  I'm no fan of DSC, but a lot of our clients use the product. Their
> cans are pretty standard (read *not* flimsy) and the circuit boards are
> pretty standard too.  In fact, I seriously doubt they're using anything more
> (or less) "flimsy" than anyone else is using.

Having worked with DSC, Napco, Honeywell and several other brands, I can
assure you that DSC's stuff is the flimsiest I've seen.  Their panels bend
like an empty soda (er, "pop") can.

> You have a predelection for Napco.

Yep.

> That's well and good.  Our customers certainly wouldn't recognize the
> difference between the zone "options" available on a Napco panel and the
> ones on a DSC, Paradox, or Ademco system.

Agreed.  When people pay for a custom installation, they just want to know
that it works and how to use it.  I deal with a different breed of client.  I
encourage my customers to read the specs on several major brands we sell
before we go into brand selection.  Once they've had an overview I discuss
what they actually want to protect (how many doors, windows, motion detectors,
etc).  That's when we discuss any special needs they may have.  If I'm
advising the client to use Napco (I don't always, just most of the time), I
explain how Napco's features will affect their use of the system.  This often
clinches the sale simply because the panels can do so much.

> They're all far less sophisticated than the run of the mill DIYer you often
> tell us that you deal with.  What my customers want is a system that's easy
> to arm and disarm.  When it doesn't "arm" they want to know why, so a keypad
> display that references "open" zones is much appreciated.

Yep.  The default setting with Napco keypads is to scroll through "open" zones
when the system is disarmed.  This can be defeated if desired though.

> DSC and Paradox are both really easy to "arm" and "disarm".

No doubt about that.  Napco offers two different keypad genres.  The standard
"RP" series allows the client to select Interior On/Off and Delay/Instant.
The newer "K" series have Home Away options (easier to use but not as
flexible).  All Napco keypads can also be set for 1-Button Arming.  There's
also an "Easy Exit" feature that allows someone inside to trigger a brief
countdown and exit without disarming.

If the client triggers an "exit error" (the most common type of false alarm,
according to at least one SIA study), Napco can be programmed to restart the
exit delay.  This is part of the SIA recommended anti-false alarm features.

> They're also really easy to teach other end-users to use.

So is Napco.  "Observe if 'Ready' LED is lit. Enter code and press 'On'
button.  When you get back enter your code and press 'Off' button."

> People like simple things, Robert.  And most of the installers I've spoken
> with over the years prefer being able to set up a panel quickly and with
> minimal "fuss".

I don't doubt that for a moment, Frank.  The problem is, "simple" isn't always
the same as "better."

> I prefer to keypad program and most systems I set up don't "depart" much
> from the standard panel defaults...

Because you're selling installed systems, this is no surprise.  We're working
in differnt ends of the spectrum.

> I use the laptop for fire alarm systems most of which are a good deal more
> complex to program than the "average" home alarm system.

As you know, I'v been involved in that aspect of the business, even from the
manufacturer's perspective.  Regardless of snide comments from certain
individuals, I've been more deeply involved in fire alarm software development
than anyone else participating here.  Programming fire panels, while more
critical in some ways than burg systems, is only more complex on the large
scale projects.  Many small to mid-sized fire systems actually have fewer
programming options than many high-end burglar alarm systems.

> I can see that this thread has the potential to degenerate to a level that I
> personally don't want to see again.  I'll concede that Napco is the superior
> product in every respect but one, and that's "price". Let's leave it at
> that.

I have no intention of allowing the thread to degenerate into anything less
than a discussion of opinions on products.  I would be interested to hear how
you would replicate my "Orthodox" systems using DSC hardware though.  If it
can be done, I'll be more than a little impressed.  Nothing negative implied
there, Frank.  I really would like to hear if there's a way you know of.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics