Re: Newbie questions on alarms

On Jun 15, 7:49=EF=BF=BDpm, "Mike W." <wiz...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well...it would bring an interesting lawsuit together. =EF=BF=BDI've been
> working in cyber-security for about 8 years now, and I see a lot of
> commonalities between cyber and physical. =EF=BF=BDNow, getting back to y=
our
> post. =EF=BF=BDI believe while an alarm system is there to protect the ow=
ner/
> resident, it should NOT be viewed as a safety net. =EF=BF=BDI believe an =
alarm
> system, along with locks, exterior lighting, fences, burgalar bars,
> etc....all of those are just delay mechanisms.
>
> OK, so a prowler comes up hops your fence. =EF=BF=BDThen, he checks the
> windows and they are all closed. =EF=BF=BDNext, he checks your door and i=
t is
> locked. =EF=BF=BDIt takes them a few minutes to either pick it or break t=
he
> door down. =EF=BF=BDAfter that, the alarm sounds.... =EF=BF=BDBy adding a=
ll of these
> up, the thief would have to be pretty motivated to grab something.
>
> So, while some people might view their alarm system as a system that
> will save your life, people should realize that all it is there for is
> to delay an intruder. =EF=BF=BDAnd while I am a 'diy-er' type person, it =
is
> something that I'd rather do myself and have control over.-

I would like to buy a gun for protection of my home and family.

Can anyone recommend a good firearm to use, to protect my home and
family?

I'm going to get a gun permit and I'm going to keep the gun at my
house in the event someone should break in to my home.

Since I'm a do it yourselfer, I'm going to have my wife or kids call
me if someone should break into the house while I'm not home, so that
I can rush home, get my gun and confront the intruders.

Now ......  since I also have some fear of my children getting access
to my gun, I'm going to lock it in a safe. And .... as a matter of
fact, also for safety reasons, I'm not going to buy any ammunition
either.

My intent is to simply scare the intruder away.

Besides, ammunition is expensive and since I don't intend to actually
fire the weapon, I won't have to waste money every month for
ammunition, by going to  the range to practice.

It's all about "thinking" we're protected and making it "appear" as if
we're protected ....... not actually "being" protected.