Re: OT /Interesting amusing statistic

"Jim" wrote:

> Doctors vs Gun owners:
>
> Doctors :
> (A) The number of physicians in the U.S.. is 700,000.
>
> (B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
>
> (C) Accidental deaths per physician  is  0.171.
>
> Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.
>
> So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more
> dangerous than gun owners.

The quoted statistics don't take into account the more significant issue of
"number of overall incidents."  Let us assume that the average doctor sees 30
patients per day.  Now let us assume that gun owners accidentally fire their
weapons only once every 10 years.

If we multiply the number of doctors (700,000) by patients per day (30) and
again multiply the result by number of days the average doctor actually works
in a given year (say 200) we have 4,200,000,000 doctor-patient interactions
per year.  Divide this into 120,000 and we find that you have a 0.000028
chance of dying from a doctor visit.

Now take the number of accidental gunshots -- 8,000,000 owners once every 10
years.  1,500 of these accidental discharges result in deaths.  Divide 1,500
by (80,000,000/10) and we find that the likelihood of death from accidental
discharge of a firearm is 0.0001875.  Thus the chance of dying from any given
accidental discharge of a firearm is nearly 7 times that of visiting a doctor.

This does not take into account the number of people who die of heart attacks
after receiving the physicians' bills.  It also does not take into
consideration the probability that all of the statistics in the cited report
were made up on the spot by the author of the report, just like the ones I
just made up.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass