Re: Please recommend cctv dome camera

On Jul 20, 8:03=EF=BF=BDpm, "wdoe...@xxxxxxxxx" <wdoe...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi - I have a small security camera system. =EF=BF=BDI have purchased sev=
eral
> cameras from ebay. =EF=BF=BDUsually some cameras around 70 bucks. =EF=BF=
=BDI'm not too
> crazy about the image quality. =EF=BF=BDCan someone give some tips on wha=
t to
> get, and how much I have to spend to get that next step in quality.
>
> The claims for the cameras that I have already purchased are:
> Vandal proof dome (it's just a metal housing)
> 1/3 Sony CCD
> 480 lines
> 3.6mm or 4mm lens
> IR LEDs (I don't really need this)
> Priced around $70
>
> You definitely cannot read a licence plate with these cameras and
> you'd be hard pressed to ID a face.
> I've purchased box cameras with CS lenses (with the same price and
> specs and 4mm lens) and they seem to have a better picture (I'd
> estimate 30% better).
>
> So any recommendations for a dome camera that would have the same
> image quality of the box cameras? =EF=BF=BDAnd how much does it cost to g=
o to
> the next step (and is there even a next step or is that as good as it
> gets for small cameras).
>
> Thanks

Your're not going to get any quality at that price level and depending
exactly how you are using the cameras, it's possible that you're not
going to see what  you want to see even with a good one.

This is one of the standard problems that end users usually have to be
educated about when they are considering purchasing a camera system.
Since you've done it on  your own, it's likely that you haven't picked
up on the shortcomings of CCTV cameras.

In the past there were no easily affordable cameras that would do what
you want to do. Now day's there are cameras that will .... but they
are IP or digital cameras and they're not  inexpensive. The problem
lies in the fact that a camera can't do what the human eye can do or
the cameras that you see on CSI or other TV shows seem to do. The
ability for one camera to see a license plate number and identify
facial features as well as see a wide area, all at once,  is not
likely to happen inexpensively. You are using wide angle lenses. If
you want to see license plates and faces, you've got to get a camera
with a telephoto lens so that the license plate or face can be made
more pominent in the field of view. If you want to see a wide field of
veiw, you need another camera. You're not going to get both in the
same lens and camera. When you are looking at a scene, you can make
your eye concentrate on a license plate number or a face and mentally
reduce the field of veiw. A camera can't do that unless it's a
variable focus telephoto to wide angle zoom lens. But, these have to
be manually adjusted or have an electronic remote control to zoom in
and out.

So, in the real world, you might be able to see all the things you
want to see with seperate .... relatively inexpensive cameras, but the
specifications of each camera and lens has to match the job you want
it to perform. A single 550 line resolution camera will get you a
little bit clearer picture but in a wide field of view don't expect
that much impovement as far as the faces and license plates go. Also
consider what the resolution of your monitor is. You can have the best
resolution camera but if you're watching it through a TV or computer
monitor, don't expect to see a much better picture. Along with better
cameras you have to consider a better monitor. And if you're
recording ...that device has it's viewing issues also.

This is one of the hazards of doing these things yourself. The project
always starts off with a seemingly simple goal and the price goes up
and up as you learn. There's always that expense laden learning curve
that can make you wish that you'd have called in someone to do it. Not
that it can't be done, but you've reeeealy got to do your homework
first. Besides, you can always put your exitsing cameras on E-bay and
recoup some of your money.