Re: Lost and need help

On Feb 10, 12:08=EF=BF=BDpm, neuroti...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I am venturing abroad in June and need to keep my apartment safe for
> about 3-4 months. Can't find anyone to live in (other than occasional
> visits like checking mail, etc.) I live in a subdivided two story
> house. The grounds are communal and a lot of my neighbours feel the
> need to trawl around my side playing sport and what not, so I think
> outdoor sensors are pretty useless for me.
>
> Anyway.. I want to be able to see exactly whats going on and I'm
> guessing I will want 4 cameras. One which will see who comes to my
> front door.. I think it should be mounted on the inside on the actual
> door itself as I don't want it to be stolen/vandalised and also don't
> want people knowing they are being filmed
> (yes I realise the potential legality issues here..). Second camera in
> my lounge room where my expensive gear is, third camera in the kitchen
> facing the window. This was where thieves managed to get in back in
> '05, but I had no decent screens then, and
> finally the fourth camera in the bathroom/laundry facing outside.
>
> I want to be able to login and watch the action live myself and also
> have say..hourly "grabs" emailed to me. I have reasonably fast
> broadband (512/256k) but no unlimited uploads so bandwidth will be an
> issue.
>
> I also want a system that will have PIR or window/door sensors that
> will trigger an alarm (silent only) and alert me and several other
> people I nominate via mobile and email (I live in Aus, so needs to be
> Tri/Quad band), and attach a camera image
> of the situation.
>
> I have years of experience assembling computers, networks, etc. But
> I'm a total newb when it comes to alarm systems, etc. Would prefer a
> system that is more or less ready to go rather than assembling one
> myself. Reliability is also a must!
>
> The closest I have been able to find is this:http://www.gpsgsmsolutions.c=
om/photo-take%20home%20alarm.html
> But cheap and nasty comes to mind.
>
> Cheers!

Not anyone from your area in this group, so anything that we would
recommend would be a USA product, and wouldn't know if it's available
or useable in your part of the world. Mickey is the only (semi)
regular here from out side the US.

Generally speaking however, why would you want a silent alarm?  You
don't really believe that you're going to enjoy watching the people
break in, vandalize and take your stuff ...... and get away ....  do
you?  One of the major jobs of a security system is to let the
intruders know they've been detected and either keep them out or make
them stay the shortest period of time and that the authorities have
been notified.. If you're depending upon "friends" to come to your
home upon receiving a call from you or central station, (You ARE going
to use a central station ..... Aren't you?) do you think you really
want to put your firends in a situation that they could get hurt by
some armed or crazed intruder?    and you could record THAT event
also. Would go over great a coctail party. And  you said nothing about
alerting the authorities. Just how long do you think it takes to
burglarize a home?   About 15 minutes, on average. How fast do you
expect ANYONE to get there ..... IF AT ALL?  Do you think that
everyone has their cell Phone on or within reach, or will actually
answer it, 100% of the time? How often a day do you check YOUR E-
mail?  Did you ever forget your phone someplace or discover that
you're in a "dead" zone? Didn't hear it ring? Couldn't pick up because
you were in the middle of something that couldn't be avoided and then
forgotten to check your voice mail?  This is what you want the
security of your home to depend on?

Other tidbits .......... putting a camera inside looking out a window
will only get you a silhouette in the day time and if there are lights
in the room at night you'll only get reflections of the room off of
the glass particularly if your use inexpensive cameras without infra
red lighting or back light control. I'm not absoutely sure, but I
think that at 256K it's going to take you about a half hour to
download one or two frames. You'd probably spend most of your 3 or 4
months away time, waiting for pictures to download.

I'm sure cost is an issue but for something like this I'd suggest you
get someone of experience to come in and do it for you or at least as
a consultant, unless you've got lots of time to experiment and learn
some issues about camera specifications, placement of cameras, motion
detectors and the basics of security   ...... first. If  you're going
to put money into something and then discover it's not going to do
what you want, why not pay the piper and do it right, or not do it at
all and take your chances. At least you'd be ahead that money.